Wednesday, June 6, 2018

Addison's First Shaker Card!

So, my amazing little sister, Addison, has been itching to try a few of the more taxing card making techniques. I love her desire to learn and the fact that she loves to craft with me, so when she asked to make a shaker card, and I actually had the energy to teach, I said "yes!" Plus, it's been a little while since you've all heard from the Beth Duff Designs, Jr Design Team!

She started by coloring up one of the newest digi releases at Beth Duff Designs, Make Waves. She loved the whale and had to make it a "Shamu" whale... it's a thing in our house, my explaining that "Shamu" is the name of a Killer or Orca whale, and her insisting I'm wrong. Again, she is wanting to learn new things and I recently gave her my old set of Stampin' Up alcohol markers to let her have practice with blending. She used a black Copic on the whale, and the SU markers on the water he is spouting. She also chose to color the puffer fish and the crab. She cut them out by hand.

One of her favorite tools is the Big Shot, so we die cut her sentiment out, which I absolutely adore. I had visions of using it to cover most of a card, and she stole it from me! Next, we broke out another new to her tool, the Blending Tool and Distress Oxide Mermaid Lagoon ink (which I got from Kindred Stamps, you can use that link for 10% off your first purchase!) Addison loved seeing the change once we sprayed water on it and patted it dry. Very watery!

Her next step was building the shaker... let me tell you, I was a bit spacey so we went around in a few circles on that one. Picking the sequins colors was probably her favorite part, I have... a lot of options, but ultimately, she chose Pretty Pink Posh's Strawberry Burst and Sparkling Clear Mix so they stood out from her blue background.

She also chose a sheet from Sunny Studio's Rainbow Bright paper pack that I picked up at Crafty Doodle Chick that looked like waves but wasn't blue, to create her ocean look. She wanted her sentiment tipped a little so we die cut the paper at an angle to make that happen. She chose her water babies placement all on her own!

All in all, I think her first shaker was a success, she now understands that it is pretty time consuming, and that I need to nap before we start one! (True story!)



I hope you enjoyed seeing my and Addison's process, and we can't wait to see what you make with Beth Duff Design's new Make Waves digi set! Make sure you join us on the Beth Duff Designs Fan Page to see more makes from our team, and to share your own with us!

~R. Winn


7 comments:

  1. Well done Addison! You are a natural! I hope we see more of your work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous card Addison! I love your sea creatures on the bright rainbow background - my favourite!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well Done on your first shaker card, it's fabulous xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well Done on your first shaker card, it's fabulous xx

    ReplyDelete