Monday, February 12, 2018

Something a Little Different!

Hey all!! This month's Kindred Stamps release is already here!! I'm EXTREMELY excited about this set and decided to try something a little different this month! 


First, I found a very neat Step Card Tutorial on Pinterest and knew it was right for Kindred Stamps new set, "Yo Ho"! I decided to create a dock for the pirate to stand on using a retired Stampin' Up Woodgrain background stamp on kraft paper. I cut small strips of the large block and drew on small back "nails" on the ends to make the wood planks.  I colored the pirate using various Copics and StyleFile Markers from Brutus Monroe.

Next, I used my new favorite, shiny origami paper to create the layers of water, the layer closer to the dock I left smooth. For the back layer to add more of a choppy waves feeling, I crumpled the paper up and added texture, then cut the top into a rolling wave look.  My base was made from retired Stampin' Up chalkboard paper, I am not sure what I'm going to do when I run out of this stuff, I love the thickness and weight of it!  

I wanted to create a kind of stormy sky to contrast with the pretty blue water. To do this, I smudged Tim Holtz Distress Oxide in Antique Linen over the black paper. After that dried I used Brilliance white ink and a dauber to create the clouds. I finished it off with a simple "Yo Ho" sentiment!  The back of the card can have a piece of white cardstock added to leave space for writing on.


My next card also features Kindred Stamps' "Yo Ho", I used Lawn Fawn's Shadow Box Card Die to created a light blue base. This die cut was VERY easy to use and created an awesome look!  I chose not to use any sort of sentiment on this one, but colored in the pretty lady and the ship again. 

I wanted the water to be a little different this time, I retrofitted the hills that come in the die kit with Wave CutUps from The Cat's Pajamas, I chose to do layers to add depth and add the ship to it.  I just got this amazing Cosmic Shimmer Glitter Kiss in Sahara Gold and decided it would be excellent to create a beach for pretty lady to stand on!  This brand comes with a built in sponge and so I dabbed it on and left it rough, it created a pretty, glittery, sandy beach.  Lastly, I finished the background off with clouds using a Lawn Fawn die! 

I hope you've all enjoyed my "something a little different" attempts this month.  Our release this month is much smaller than the past but personally I think the sets are fantastic! We've also got new Shaker Packs, and maybe another surprise up our sleeves, I can't wait for you to see!


As always, we have a blog hop going on for this release, to be entered you must comment on each blog. The winner will be chosen at 9:00PM EST on 2/14/18 and will win a $10 credit to the shop!




R. Winn Creates (You are here!)



Thank you all for visiting!

~R. Winn

30 comments:

  1. Your use of the step card and box card are great for this set!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love these... Thanks for sharing! Cant wait to order!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice!! Love the cards!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute cards. I really like the water on your step card!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your step card -- great pirate!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've not seen that shiny origami paper used before-- it's fabulous! Great job!! This is my favorite of the new stamps! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome cards!! Your step card looking amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These card ideas are awesome. Thanks for sharing them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Really cute cards and very clever idea with the step card :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the scene created on this card!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the material you used for the water! So pretty! Can't wait to get this stamp set!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very Cute card. I like how you did the waves on the second one you showcased.

    ReplyDelete